Coursedog has built a real time bi-directional integration to both GET and POST schedule & curriculum planning data into Banner. Coursedog is an Ellucian Partner and supports a validated integration with Ellucian Ethos and direct database exposure via an API. Coursedog has successfully deployed this integration with both on premise and hosted/Cloud solutions. Both solutions are built to follow Ellucian designation best practice standards in mind around architecture, and security. All data exchanges are handled through REST APIs that are exposed through our middleware. The direct query model is DBEU compliant and does not require modifications to delivered Banner APIs. Both solutions are compatible with Banner 9.x and backwards compatible for 8.x.
Coursedog Integration Methodology
Please visit our Coursedog Integration Methodology for more information about our approach.
Banner Integration Pathways
Direct Database (Oracle or MSQL)
Coursedog has a pre-built package of sql for bidirectional integration ready to deploy to your environment.Direct database queries are the backbone of most integrations to Banner and allow controlled direct access to data regardless of the level of customization. Coursedog will handle the ETL data mapping work once the data is pulled from Banner.
See the Banner data workbook for a list of current supported fields and objects.
Direct Database Query is the best fit for the following types of institutions:
- Not currently Ethos enabled.
- Highly customized data structures
- Custom to the data structures may require extensions.
- Does not require an upgrade (Ethos)
- Security - You have full control of who has access to each table and run the client scripts.
- Flexible to your needs. IT staff will likely have the expertise to help close any gaps due to customizations.
- May not be the long term vision of the IT staff (See Ethos)
- Shared Support Model - Support responsibility is shared given the need for a local client
- Client IT staff may not have expertise or resources to assist with the deployment.
Ellucian Ethos APIs
Ethos is Ellucian’s is another integration pathway for Banner. It boasts a unified data model across all platforms built on Open standards (REST, JSON). Coursedog is a trusted Ellucian Partner and boasts an Ethos validated solution.
Ethos is the best fit for the following types of institutions:
- Currently using Ethos APIs to expose data externally.
- Your institution has minimal Banner data structure customizations
- Updated system configurations (e.g. Banner 9)
- IT staff is available to install any extensions necessary to close gaps due to customizations.
- Modern standards based (REST, JSON) approach to expose your data.
- Ellucian supported solution that is under active development.
- Security is consistent with Ellucian and industry standards.
- Flexible to your needs. IT staff will likely have the expertise to help close any gaps due to customizations (see Ethos extensions).
- Requires an upgrade to Ethos.
- IT staff may not have expertise/resources to perform upgrades.
- Ethos extensions may be required.
- IT staff may not have expertise or availability to install extensions (if necessary)
Requirements & Assumptions
Coursedog assumes you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Banner 9
- Institution is using corresponding baseline Banner processes and data structures (e.g. Course Scheduling, Course and Program inventory)
- The Institution is responsible to meet the needs of their specific environment.
- Docker installed for Non Ethos integration (See installation requirements)
- Ability to whitelist IPs as needed for Test and Production
**Coursedog supports an industry standard transfer protocol for both approaches. Coursedog will install a lightweight client that will pull the information from your database and expose the information externally via SSL/HTTPS. All transmissions will be handled over SSL so no need for you to open any additional ports (443).
Coursedog commonly partners with N2N for the SIS API integration and requires Docker for a streamlined installation process (See N2N Docker Requirements for on premise solutions)
Please see the Colleague Ethos installation guide for a list of required resources (Banner specific guide in process)
- Banner - Rules for Meetings
- Coursedog Integration Methodology
- Single Sign On (SSO) Integration
- Coursedog Security Overview
- Merges - Technical Overview
- Managing Integration Errors
- How Merges Work in Coursedog