This article provides an overview of the mechanism in Coursedog that allows administrators to configure attribute mappings and populate the list of options available in select type questions. Attribute mappings are often necessary in integrated environments so that the values exchanged with the SIS are presented to the end user in a friendly manner. For example, a Status field may display the options "Active" and "Inactive" instead of the SIS codes of "A" and "I". However, for integration purposes Coursedog must now how to map Active <> A to display the appropriate selection and communicate any updates back to the SIS.
Overview of Question Options and Attribute Mappings
The various templates in Coursedog (Section, Instructor, Room, Course, and others) may contain various pre-built (PB) and custom questions. These questions are of various types, include select questions. Select type questions are intended to present the user with a set of options to select from. These questions will appear as a drop-down in the corresponding screen. Refer to 6. Configuration of Field Options in the Form Builder: Section Template, Room Template, Instructor Template, Course Template for more information on how to configure questions.
In the example below, the Instruction Mode prebuilt question has been configured to include three options: Online, Face to Face, and Hybrid.
The configuration was accomplished through the Section Template editor, under Question Settings for Instruction Mode.
Please note that questions fed by integrations with yours SIS should NOT be managed through this mechanism. The following section will explain how to adjust question options through attribute mappings.
Coursedog users with the appropriate access to the administration (admin) application for their instance can navigate to the Attribute Mappings page to review the options configured within their system as shown below.
Under the "Integration Attribute Mappings" you will see headers for each of the major entities applicable to your environment. These vary by SIS and licensed product set.
Continuing the example used in the section above, the Sections tab includes an attribute mapping definition for the Instruction Mode field. Clicking on the field row displays the details of the mapping.
The image above shows how the "Online", "Face to Face", and "Hybrid" options displayed to users map to "O", "F", and "H" respectively through the integration.
Without this information, Coursedog would send the display values ("Face to Face") to the SIS which in turn would cause errors in the integration.
Maintaining Attribute Mappings
The Coursedog onboarding process includes a discovery phase in which your project team works to catalog the various data elements and options needed for a successful deployment. However we expect that over time options may change as entries in the SIS are added, deprecated, or modified. The following sections discuss how Coursedog administrators can maintain their Integration attribute mappings.
Adding, Modifying, and Editing Mappings
Creating a new attribute group
If a prebuilt, integrated question is added to a template after go-live, it may require configuration of attribute mappings in order to capture and display information appropriate. We recommend filing a FreshDesk request for assistance from your CSM to properly evaluate and test the change. These are the steps to be followed:
- Navigate to Admin > Integration Attribute Mappings
- Select the tab for the entity in question (e.g. Sections)
- Click + Add new attribute group, this will add a "New field" record to the table.
- Click on the New field
- Select the appropriate field from the Field Name drop down. Note that the options in this drop-down correspond to the pre-built questions in the system. For custom questions please reach out to your CSM.
- If you wish to populate ALL these values as options for the question in the template, toggle Selectable within Template Field Options to Yes. Otherwise you may specify it for each option. Note that selecting "Yes" for any individual option will toggle this to Yes but it will only apply to the specific options.
- Enter values for Coursedog Field Option and SIS Code.
- Coursedog Field Option: this is what should be displayed as an option in the dropdown menu. E.g. "Online"
- SIS Code: this is what should be communicated to the SIS. E.g. "O".
- The "More Options" toggle expands a series of fields for more granular control of the option.
- If you wish to enter additional options, click Add new attribute and repeat the step above as necessary.
- Once you are done entering options, click Save at the top of the page.
Modifying attributes in an existing group
You can use a variation of the steps above to edit the options available for a field. After navigating to the entity and field, you can edit the option values or remove the entry using the delete trash can icon that appears on the right edge of each option.
Remember to click Save to persist your changes.
Saving and Synchronizing Mappings
Editing the attribute mappings configuration within the Admin panel is only the first step to updating the options displayed to users. Once you have added, edited, or removed fields and options using the instructions above it is very important that you click Save to persist your changes.
When changes have been saved, you then have the option to Sync. Synchronizing attribute mappings will copy the options to the template. If you skip this step you may not see your changes reflected at the template level.
Coursedog applications integrated with Peoplesoft have the ability to automatically merge the options for certain fields as part of the integration mechanism. Coursedog administrators should review their merge settings ahead of managing attribute mappings prior to making any changes.
As an administrator, navigate to Admin > Merge Settings. Review the status of the "Merge Types" displayed under "Merge Settings". If the toggle is set to Yes, that means that the integration is automatically pulling in values and their mappings and there is no need to configure them within Coursedog.
To make any changes to question options and attribute mappings for a field that is retrieving options through the integration, please make those updates within Peoplesoft and execute a merge in Coursedog. See How Merges Work in Coursedog for more information on that process.
The following table summarizes the fields that this is available for. The entity column captures what templates and entities this field is available in.
|Equivalent Course Groups||Course|
|Dynamic Class Date Rule||Course|
|CIP Codes||Course, Program|
|Hegis Codes||Course, Program|
|Academic Careers||Course, Program|
Updating mappings are not reflected in existing data
Changes to the attribute mapping configuration are not reflected in the Section editor until a merge is executed. It is during the merge process that Coursedog will retrieve the latest mapping configuration, compare it to incoming data, and adjust its display to end users.
Sync does not copy options to question
- Make sure that you have saved changes before attempting to sync options.
- If using multiple browser windows to access Coursedog configuration and editing screens in parallel, make sure to perform a full refresh to ensure it picks up the latest configuration
- If the options continue to fail to sync