- In Scheduling, all courses are associated with an academic department.
- In most cases, Departments will be pre-loaded into the Coursedog platform during the technical integration with your SIS or through a CSV upload.
- Once configured, the Department feature becomes a useful way to filter courses and course section offerings throughout the application.
- Department filters are available on list pages, sandboxes, and various reports where applicable.
Monitoring Departmental Status
PATH: Scheduling > Home
“Departmental Status” is the default view for the Academic Scheduling homepage. It captures:
- Department display name
- Scheduler(s) associated with that department
- Number of courses
- Number of sections
- Number of conflicts (rule violations/errors)
- Validation status
- Submission status
There are three potential submission statuses:
- Not Started – Indicates no editing activity has occurred at the department level.
- In Progress – Indicates the department has started manipulating section data.
- Submitted – Indicates the department's Schedule Validation Request (if any) has been fully approved. If there isn't a Schedule Validation Workflow associated with the department, a status of "submitted" means the Schedule has been fully submitted (auto-approved).
PATH: Scheduling > Settings > Departments
If academic section data is being imported from the SIS, subject records will be automatically added to Coursedog as they are imported. However, subject records can also be manually added and edited directly in Coursedog as well.
Step One: Click “+ Department”
Step Two: Enter the following information:
- Department Display Name – A shorthand department name that will appear on screen.
- Full Name – The department’s complete name.
- Effective Start & End Dates (Optional) – If effective dates are defined, then the home page will filter out departments whose effective dates do not encompass the viewing term dates.
- Subject Code – A code that corresponds to an area of study to which courses are assigned.
- Status – Select either “Active” or “Inactive” from the dropdown menu.
- Department Validation Workflow – Choose the intended workflow from the dropdown menu. To learn more about this functionality, refer to this article.
- Hide in Scheduling and Hide in Events (Optional) – These fields default to 'No'. To learn more about this functionality, refer to this article.
Step Three: Click “Add” to save.
PATH: Scheduling > Settings > Departments > (Select Department)
Step One: Make the necessary adjustments.
Step Two: Click “Save”.